Comprehensive Social Security (CSS) and Retirement
Scope of Work
Section 27 of the Constitution enshrines the right of South Africans to the progressive realisation of social security and social assistance within the state’s available resources.
Issues of Consideration:
The Nedlac Comprehensive Social Security Task Team considers the following:
- Government’s paper and Social partner’s proposals in respect of comprehensive social security and retirement reform, and areas of agreement and disagreement in this regard. The benefits and financing thereof will have to be considered.
- Relevant International best practices in respect of comprehensive social security and retirement reform.
- Identify gaps, weaknesses in the discussion paper and make recommendations.
- Prioritise issues in terms of engagements and implementation of elements of comprehensive system of social security and retirement reforms, including institutional arrangements.
The purpose of the Nedlac Manco Task team on Comprehensive Social Security is to:
- Engage on a comprehensive social security and retirement reform system that is affordable, sustainable and appropriate for South Africa.
- Agree on a process of engagement and consultations on this government proposal, and any other proposals submitted by social partners including the delivery mechanisms and recommend those to MANCO and/or EXCO depending on what comes first. These engagements will cohere with the following principles:,
- Be inclusive and participative
- Take active steps to consider the interests of poor and vulnerable persons not currently represented at NEDLAC.